Can you say “Plot Twist?!?!?!!?”
The energy wave we’ve been riding in 2017 has had a lot of unexpected twists and turns, hasn’t it?
There was a lot to let go of and complete early in the year and most people I’ve talked to were feeling much more grounded and clear by the time March came along. Then came April…..
So many people I know and work with (myself included!) were directly experiencing the old adage “we make plans; God laughs.”
I happened to be catching up with past client and friend, Michelle, last week and like many of us she has had some unexpected developments arise in her journey. She was actively moving toward a change in her life but had discounted the possibility of working in the profession she had experience in. She was ready to try something new. Out of the blue, she got a call from a recruiter with what appeared to be her dream job in her dream geographic location. But it was not at all what she had planned!
She said to me “you said it would happen like this!”
Michelle has participated in my annual Intentional Success in the New Year program every year since it’s inception. During the annual virtual retreat, I reveal the energetic forecast for the year and this year’s has been lock-step as usual with what people have been experiencing!
In March we had a clear idea of where were headed and April swooped in to remind us that we never really know what it is going to look like. Things not going according to plan can be labeled as a disappointment in that you didn’t get what you hoped for. Or like in Michelle’s case they might be an unexpected surprise that’s more than you could have hoped for.
Regardless of which variety you are experiencing, there are some great gems that can come out of things not going “according to plan.”
- You get to practice a new level of self-mastery. Even when you have done a lot of “work” and believe you have over come certain patterns, tendencies and pitfalls, when things don’t go according to plan you have an opportunity to put your newly accessed level into action on the playing field. If only true self- mastery were a “one and done” kind of experience. In actuality, you will repeatedly be given opportunities to demonstrate new levels of self-mastery.
- You get to experience (or stretch) your own capacity. Let’s face it; we grow by being stretched. Expanding your capacity is the best way to be able to navigate anything that life throws at you. And the only way to expand your capacity is to come up against our edge and move past it.
- You get to clarify what you really want and what’s really in alignment for you. Very often even when things do go according to plan, you discover that what you were going after didn’t bring you the fulfillment you had hoped it would. Before you charge forward and try to force your original plan, take a pause and feel into if where you are heading is truly in alignment with you and your Soul. Unexpected developments are often course corrections in disguise. Don’t miss your Divine Detour!
- You learn to trust yourself. Self-trust is one of your most valuable assets. It doesn’t mean that you never make a mistake or you are never uncertain. It means that in every situation you can trust yourself to take care of yourself. Rather than being at the affect of your circumstances you know that you are always in command of your experience. It is only by stepping into the unknown that you learn to completely trust yourself.
- You learn to trust the universe. When you let go of control and allow yourself to be guided, you begin to understand that the universe is ALWAYS looking out for you. When we hold on and try to control the outcome we create suffering for ourselves. If you resist where you are being led, it can be very painful to not know and to not have things go according to plan. Alternatively, when you learn to trust the universe to guide you to exactly where you need to be, you can experience the shifting sands of life with so much more ease!
- Your mind gets creative. If you always have a safety net or a fall back plan your mind never has to rise to challenge to figure out how it’s going to handle things. As uncomfortable as it sounds – and feels! – it is only when your back is against the wall that your mind will be forced to come up with the most unique and creative solutions available to you. You are much more resourceful and resilient than you give yourself credit for!
- You become (or hopefully remain) humble. Anything that can be taken from you is not essential. This is a hard one to embrace for many. Nothing external to you defines who you are, denotes your value or proves your worth. Be it people, possessions or profession; nothing but your truest essence is actually essential. They are nice to have but you really can live without them. When these things are taken from you, it often makes you very humble.
- You have renewed sense of gratitude. Building on that last point, people, possession and professions will come and go over the duration of your lifetime. As circumstances change and life evolves, the landscape of your life will be revise itself again and again. Your opportunity is to learn to appreciate their presence without grasping when you have them and bless them when they are gone.
- You eventually surrender to a vision greater than your own. For years I have joked that my job is to “listen and obey.” The recovering control freak in me hates this concept! But time and again I have seen that when I am taking my prompts from my Soul and from the Universe, I am always protected, safe and exactly where I need to be in the moment. And whenever I start to think I am in charge I quickly get reminded that there is a force greater than myself at work in my life.
- You learn that you can never really know where you are headed. And to that previous point, who am I to believe that from the limited awareness of my conscious mind (5% versus the 95% of the subconscious mind!), I can ever really know where I will end up. Sure, I can point myself in a direction and head that way. But the minute I think I know exactly how things are going to turn out chances are I am actually limiting myself and what could be.
- And….. You can never really be off path. Here’s the best news of all. As I like to say to my Divine Navigation clients “you can’t be late to your own party!” Even when it looks like you are off path, you aren’t. Either you are directly headed where you are meant to go or you have taken a side street because you have something you need to pick up, learn or release in order to get to where you are ultimately meant to go and become the person you are ultimately meant to be. More often than not when you feel you are being knocked “off” path you are being knocked “on.”
Here’s to the journey, surprises and all! Make the most of every unexpected twist and turn and you are always fulfilling your purpose!