How to Manifest without a New Year Resolution
January 1st marks the New Year when we traditionally reflect on the year that has just ended. And, list all the things we hope to manifest in the coming year.
Many of us make New Year’s Resolutions at this time because we think it’s how to manifest what we want in our lives. Wrongly assuming that attempting to resolve to do things differently in the year to come is how to manifest something quickly.
New Year Resolutions are one of the longest traditions I know of in modern society. Did you ever stop to wonder where this tradition even came from?
Janus, the mythological god of beginnings, for which January is named, is thought to be the origins of the reflective nature and future visioning of the New Year. Janus was said to have two faces, one on the front of his head and one on the back. This allowed him to always look backward and forward at the same time.
Years ago, I was with some family and friends in the week between Christmas and New Year’s when this topic came up. Someone asked, “who has made New Year’s Resolutions?” My response: “Not me. I don’t believe in them.”
Approximately half of us make New Year’s resolutions. I am not one of them.
There are a couple of reasons why I just don’t get the point. First off is straight away there’s an energy of brokeness and wrongness with New Year resolution meaning there is something that needs to be resolved. But what if there’s nothing wrong here?
Then there’s the idea that this one time of the year is our only opportunity to make change, manifest new things or have something different in our lives. This is just another way to delay your life. Life is NOW. No matter when that now is. Each day that you open your eyes you have the same opportunity to choose something new. Don’t just wait for the New Year.
Another reason is that way more people fail than succeed. Sure the first couple of weeks tend to go fine but there’s a reason that January 17th is known as Ditch New Year’s Resolutions Day. For sure by February the vast majority have fallen by the wayside. This is most tragic because repeated failures lead to lowered self esteem and create unconscious lack of trust in ourselves.
Top reasons why New Year resolutions fail to manifest:
- The resolution you set isn’t something you really want but more likely something you think you should want.
- Resolutions are often based on changing behaviors rather than on the true source of the behaviors; the energy underlying your thoughts and beliefs.
- The focus is often on stopping something. Trying not to do something, avoiding something, does not breed positive results or affirming feelings.
- New Year Resolutions are often based on the premise that something is wrong with you as-is. Basically, they are based on a judgment of what IS. Anything we judge, we lock into place.
Increase your chances of success with your New Year’s Resolutions
- Don’t set yourself up – Be realistic. You have no idea how hard that is for me to say! I am not a big fan of living life being strictly logical and reasonable. In this case, I recommend a hefty dose. Be honest with yourself about what you can really do.
- Find your true source of motivation – Identify what experience you are really after. Again, if we use the example of weight loss (arguably perhaps the highest made resolution each year), do you really want to lose 20 pounds or do you actually want to feel great when you walk into your reunion? That feeling, the experience, is what you are really after. Go for that one. Knowing what your true motivation is will increase your chances of manifesting that experience.
- Ramp-up your resolution – Two ways to feel more successful more often in the process is to first ramp up your resolution. Say that you are going to go from not exercising at all to working out 7 days a week is a sure way to end up one of the statistics of failed resolutions. Consider starting with two days a week and ramp up from there.
- Success breeds success – Feel more successful more often by breaking your resolution down into bite sized pieces. If you want to lose 20 pounds, first set your sights on five pounds. Then the next five. Small wins lead to massive victories.
- Press the reset button every day – Any long-term change requires a commitment and recommitting to that commitment each and every day. That doesn’t mean that you can’t have an off day. That means that each day, you have the chance to choose to commit again. Don’t allow yourself to completely throw in the towel for a small slip or misstep.
As I said, I personally do not create New Year’s Resolutions. Quite simply, they don’t work. But I do always take full advantage of this magical time of year!
I’ve long used a very special set of rituals and ceremonies for myself to successfully bid farewell to the ending year and welcome in the new one and I’d love to personally share them with you including my completely unique process of intention creation.
Once a year, for over a decade, I personally lead our community through what I consider the “closing ceremonies” of the year absolutely free during the Intentional Success in the New Year Retreat.
During the Annual Intentional Success in the New Year Virtual Retreat, you will:
- Discover what the previous year was really about for you and how whatever happened will serve you moving forward.
- Understand what you must do in order to complete the year and move into the new year with grace, ease and confidence.
- Build a solid foundation for your coming year by understanding the difference between making resolutions and setting goals versus creating the most resonant intention for you.
- Experience the entire energetic map for the coming year to help you navigate each and every month of the year.
- Move powerfully into the New Year and beyond!
If you really want to super-charge your success in the new year, join us for the Intentional Success in the New Year Virtual Retreat.
It’s time to live the life you were born to live – intentionally.
Understanding Divine Alignment and its Life Changing Benefits
Inspiration For Finding & Living Your Purpose
Spiritual Business Ideas to Empower Your Unique Purpose
Paid Discovery Sessions & More Clients
Purpose vs Mission Distinctions for Savvy Entrepreneurs
Spiritual Entrepreneur - Qualities to Cultivate
Could Your Manifestation List Be Limiting You